Pain in the coccyx can appear from injury or a cause that is not known for sure. Given the importance of the role of the coccyx in the movement of the body, this pain will certainly interfere with daily activities.
The tail bone is at the very bottom of the spine. Although small, but the tail bone consists of many muscles, tendons, and ligaments that help stabilize the body while sitting. There are times when the tail bone is disturbed to bring the pain that will be felt almost all day and increase in time or during certain activities. This condition causes a person can be very painful when sitting, standing for too long, rise from a sitting position to standing, defecating, menstruating, to intercourse. In addition, the pain in the coccyx may also be accompanied by pain in the thighs, buttocks, and legs (sciatica).
Symptoms of pain in the coccyx with other symptoms such as fever, bleeding, difficulty controlling urination or bowel movements, weakness or paralysis of the legs are serious conditions that need to be properly treated by a doctor.
Also Read : Know Drugs Less Blood Here
Causes and How to Relieve Pain
Pain in the coccyxis or coccynynia or coccygodynia can be caused by many things from mild to severe, such as sitting too long on hard surfaces, labor, degenerative joint changes, trauma from falling on the coccyx (falling off), excess weight Or less, until the posture is less precise. In some cases, pain in the coccyx can also be due to arthritis, bone growth in the coccyx, pilonidal cysts, or cancer and infection. Trauma or injury can cause the tail bone to become bruised, shifted, or cracked.
There are several things that can be done to relieve pain in the coccyx:
- Consumption of painkillers such as ibuprofen, paracetamol, or aspirin.
- Sitting on a donut-shaped pillow or V-shaped shape. You can also sit while leaning forward to help relieve pain while sitting.
- You can try cold or warm compresses to relieve pain in the coccyx, or can also massage.
- Enough rest. Limit activity by reducing the habit of lifting heavy loads, bending, and light exercise.
To investigate this condition further, doctors can apply anus examination to find the cause of pain or use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to detect possible degenerative changes, cracks, or tumors. Meanwhile, treatment for chronic pain in the chin bone can be done in the following way.
- Drugs such as local anesthetic injection or corticosteroid in the coccyx and antidepressants to relieve pain in the coccyx.
- Manipulation or physiotherapy by massaging the muscles on the coccyx. The coccygeal manipulation may be performed by a doctor by inserting a gloved hand back and forth through the anus or rectum to correct the position of the coccyx.
- Physiotherapy with pelvic floor relaxation.
- The coccygectomy surgery is the removal of the coccyx which is only performed if other treatments prove to be ineffective. However, the operation that carries this risk is also not necessarily successful.
The pain in the tail bone that can be accompanied by pain radiating on the buttocks, hips, and legs can disappear on its own within a matter of days, but can also not go away until the count of months. This persistent pain can be identified as chronic coccydynia. Therefore, immediately consult a doctor if the pain worsens and or does not subsided.